Sunday 22 June 2014

exploring




Hi!!! Thought I'd give you guys a quick update on what I got up to yesterday for the start of the school holidays!
In the morning I met my friends Tara, Fi and Kath to go to the city :) 

We got off at Town Hall and walked down a block to the Gaffa Gallery to see the Yen Art Awards Finalists. The exterior of the building was so pretty and pink and we got there before it opened so we went to the QVB to hang around for a few minutes while waiting for it to open!




When we came back about 15 minutes later we found it open and lit so we went in!




We climbed the stairs to the gallery on the second level and the first exhibition was by a photographer (I can't recall his name) who shot a whole series of photos dedicated to capturing the rock pools of New South Wales. All his photos were stunning!

The colour scheme of this photo below reminded me so much of Spirited Away for some reason!!




The next room was displaying the Yen Female Art Awards Finalists, the exhibition we had originally come to see. All the art was so different, beautiful and quirky and they all deserved to win.


My friends and I were discussing how much the guy on the far left looked like Chet Faker and it turned out that it actually was a portrait of the man himself!




I have no idea why but this one was probably one of my favourite entries, it was so pretty!



Tara

 


The exhibition in the next room was entitled 'As If The Earth Opened Up and Swallowed Them', and was a series of photos from areas around NSW and Yosemite National Park in California as well as newspaper extracts of mysterious disappearances. I thought the concept was so cool and the photography was amazing!




The last room's artwork was full of colourful art pieces and they were really nice to look at :) the display was entitled 'Blinds'.






At the bottom level there were a few little shops and an installation which was really cool.





After we left the gallery we walked over to Chinatown and went to Market City for an amazing Japanese lunch! I went to the same restaurant last year in my White Rabbit Gallery post :)


Fi and Kath


I got the most amazing Japanese salad with chicken and egg on top. It had my favourite Japanese salad dressing which I AM IN LOVE WITH!!!!!
Definitely going to have that salad next time :')


We went down to Paddy's Markets and browsed for a couple of minutes before heading out. Walking through Chinatown we discovered Kimber Lane which was decorated so beautifully, we had to stop and take photos!





My outfit:




After taking way too many photos we headed down to the edge of Chinatown where we found a really cool gelato place which invents new gelato flavours every week, called N2 Gelato. The inside was decorated so nicely and the gelatos were put together in front of our eyes!


The gelato was made using nitrogen, hence the name!



On the wall were written all the different flavours of gelato that they'd ever had! 


Behind the counter on the wall were this week's specials. 


I ordered the 'Deconstructed Chocolate Lava' gelato which constituted a cup of rich chocolate gelato covered with a LOT of cocoa powder and served with a syringe full of warm chocolate ganache! 
Fi got a 'Brokeback Moment' which was a cup full of hokey pokey gelato covered with hard chocolate and crushed honeycomb bits, served with a syringe full of caramel (or something like that ...). Tara got a scoop of salted caramel gelato :)

Before


After I'd squeezed out my chocolate ganache!


After leaving Chinatown we headed down to Surry Hills to explore the main streets and do some shopping :)

On the way we came across some people in a back alleyway doing a street art project!
 

Further down the road we went into a few really cute little vintage clothing stores which had amazing clothes but a little bit out of my price range :(
We also visited American Apparel which was similarly out of my price range but fun to look through anyway! 


We also went to the outlet store which was located above the actual store :)



We then went to the Surry Hills Vinnies which had some really cool things and explored the streets for a little while more. 





I am in love with all the houses in Surry Hills, they were so beautiful and colourful and the whole vibe of the area was amazing :)



We walked up Oxford Street till we got to Hyde Park and kept walking through the park until we reached Town Hall Station, and then with extremely sore feet boarded the train home :)

Sorry for the really long post, it was such an action-packed day!

What I wore:
  • London Fog denim jacket - Vinnies
  • Cropped off-shoulder peasant top - picked up at Vinnies for $1!
  • Vintage Just Jeans maxi skirt - Vinnies
  • Platform sandals - online
Hope to keep you guys updated on my activities during these holidays as I've got heaps of exciting plans :)

Much love, Sera XX

1 comment:

  1. ahh I love your outfit gal! that skirt is so fab, seriously love it so much x

    frockled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete